Saturday, December 7, 2013

Meeting Santa

While Matt went to the freezing cold OU/OSU game, I decided to take the kids to attempt a picture with Santa. Devon energy does puts on a family event every Saturday in December where you can take pictures with Santa, write letters to the troops overseas, make crafts, and dance to a band. They have a different theme each week and this week was "Whoville." I asked Ryan, Lisa, and their kids to meet us there so we may have a little more fun. I also assumed this would be the best weekend to go since just about everyone in the state of Oklahoma is either an OSU or OU fan and would probably be watching the game.  So we met at the Devon tower at 11 and I immediately got us signed up on the list to see Santa (which they told me was going to be a 3 hour wait!) Thankfully, you don't have to wait in an actual line and they just text you when its your turn. As we were walking in we saw Lindsey, Brooklyn, Brynlee, and Bailey.  Hadley was so excited to see a friend and couldn't wait to take a couple pictures with Brooklyn. The first characters we saw were Cindy Lou Who and the Grinch. Of course, Hudson hid his head in my shoulder and refused to get down but Hadley was pretty excited to get her picture with them. 


Still quite traumatized by our entrance, Hudson was unwilling to sit in the sleigh with Hadley but I got some cute pictures of her by herself and then with Brooklyn and Brynlee.




By the time we finished pictures Ryan's family had arrived. We made our way into the craft area where the girls and Hudson colored Santa a picture, made a Grinch ornament (that fell apart before we were even out of the Devon tower) and put their letters in a mailbox that delivered straight to the North Pole. Buck loved running around and looking at all the elves and exploring.








After we finished our crafts we went out to the middle of the lobby where the Sugarfree Allstars were playing. The kids got out and danced their little hearts out! Hudson brought a new toy camera with him and walked around taking pictures of everybody.




Lining up for the train. Hudson wanted to hold Hadley's hand the entire time and it was so sweet. She could obviously run faster to keep up with the train but chose to fall back and help her brother instead.






After the train Hadley was picked out of the crowd to get on stage and help with the choreography to one of their songs. I was surprised at her not being shy at all and jumping right in to perform. This is the only picture I got because I pulled out the video camera instead where I got some great video!


Thankfully, after only 1 hour and 15 minutes we were texted that Santa was ready for us. Obviously a lot of people are scared off by the three hour wait and leave so I was glad we decided to stick around.

 Hudson has been stating for weeks that he would NOT sit on Santa's lap. When we told him that he is the one that brings so many fun presents he opted to not get any presents then. From the boy that asks for a new toy daily this was a really big deal and I was not going to push it.  In fact, the entire morning he kept reminding me that he was not going to talk to Santa so I went up there fully anticipating to only get a picture with Hadley. It really wasn't worth him being in a terrible mood just to get a screaming picture. Much to my surprise, I had him on my hip as Hadley crawled up on Santa's lap and he pushed off me to climb up on Santa's lap too!!!  Both of the kids just talked to Santa, told him everything they wanted, and smiled the entire time. It was such a sweet moment and so much fun.
   



After we took our pics Peyton, Buck, and Gunner got up on Santa's lap. Buck is literally the happiest, easy-going kid so I was a little surprised to see him cry and struggle to get away but I have to admit that these are some of my favorite pictures of kids. My dad just says it cruel :)




After Santa we went back downstairs to dance a little more and Hudson took ahold of my camera (as he does a lot lately). I will spare the pictures of all the strangers he took and especially of the many bottoms he took pics of but I did love this one that he got of the ceiling. The tower that you see through the glass dome is the Devon Tower, Oklahoma City's now tallest building.



We had a great time and I am so excited about our Santa picture! Now it was time to head home to make some gingerbread houses....

No comments:

Post a Comment