Sunday, August 25, 2013

Slips, Trips, and Broken Hips

What a crazy time for us right now! It is Saturday morning and I was out running errands. Matt was going to mow the yard and my mom called to say that she and my dad wanted to come by and see the kids. I was excited that they would be helping me entertain the kids while Matt was busy. When I got home Matt started mowing and my parents showed up a few minutes later. I was outside with Hudson waiting to greet them and Hadley was inside on the couch. My mom went on inside and we stayed out for a few minutes. When we made our way inside the first noise I heard was a strange scream from my mom. My first thought was that her and Hadley were playing and she was pretending to be hurt. It all seemed to happen in slow motion that I slowly saw Hadley appear around the corner with a shocked look on her face. She couldn't talk and just looked from me back to the floor. I immediately knew something was really wrong and rounded the corner to see my mom laying on the floor. She had taken off her shoes, had on panty hose, and had slipped as she hit our wood floor. She fell right down on her left hip and we were pretty sure immediately that she had broken her hip. Her leg was turned out and she couldn't move it an inch. I ran outside to tell Matt to come in and after a couple minutes of realized she was not ok in the least we called 911 and had EMSA come out. Sweet Hadley sat under our table and cried and cried. She was so scared for her Mama and just didn't understand what was going on. 


While Matt cleaned up from mowing, I took Hadley and Hudson up to the ER to wait on a diagnosis. The kids were so good as if they sensed that Mama was really hurt and they had to step up and be big kids. About 2 hours later the Dr. finally came in to tell us it was, in fact, broken and that she would be having surgery tomorrow. My poor mom was devastated and terrified. She has never had a surgery and for her first surgery to be the same one that her dad was having when he died made it very scary for her.


These two sure made a bad day better and helped us to stay upbeat and optimistic.




On Sunday morning I hoped to make it back up to the hospital before my mom was taken back for surgery. I called my dad at 6:30 and he said they still hadn't told him when the surgery was going to be. He called back about 30 minutes later and said they came in and got her with no warning. I was able to tell my mom I loved her over the phone but I really hated that I wasn't able to give her a hug before she went back. Hadley and I got ready and went  up to the hospital to wait with my dad while Matt stayed home to wait for Hudson to wake up. The surgery was supposed to take a couple hours and about 2.5 hours later the doctor came out to tell us that the surgery went great and the pieces fit back together perfectly. We met my mom back up in her room as she tried to wake up from anesthesia. Hadley, still traumatized by the whole situation, held Mama's hand from the moment she woke up and just kept telling her she loved her.

When Hudson woke up Matt brought him up to see Mama. It was amazing to me how an almost 3 year old could sense that he needed to be a big boy and be very gentle and sweet around Mama. He was so concerned about her and kept saying, "Mama, you ok?"



Taking a little break from the hospital room to go on a wheelchair ride.



And Ryan sure knew how to lighten the mood...


Mom, was able to see just how much these kids love her and want her better!
These next pictures are over the course of the next few days in the hospital. Mama had lots of visitors and the kids loved going up to see her!






Thankfully, Mom is doing much better and at home now recovering. She has a long road ahead of her but is extremely determined to get back to her original health or even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment