Saturday, November 17, 2012

Bedtime Routines

One of my favorite things in life (and sure to be a lifelong memory) is my bedtime routine with my kids. I love the snuggles, the quiet time, and the moments we get to talk about the day we have been blessed with. For Hudson's first year of life Matt put Hudson to bed and I put Hadley to bed. But for the past year Hudson has been wanting me to put him to bed so Matt lays down with Hadley and reads her books while I get Hudson settled and then I go in to finish up with Hadley.  When Hadley first started sleeping in her bed, rather than her crib, we made sure she fell asleep on her own and didn't need us in there. That has, at some point in time, been forgotten and though she doesnt NEED us in there, I need to be in there. I know I won't get many more years of her wanting me in her bed and I am going to soak it up as long as I possibly can. My very favorite conversations happen when we are cuddling together, talking about our day, and talking about what to expect the next day. And listening to her pray before falling asleep melts my heart EVERY single night. She has an absolute heart of gold and always has to be the last to say "I love you." In fact, here is how our conversation went last night. 

Me: "ok, Hadley. It's time to go to sleep. I love you."
Hadley: "I love you more, Mommy."
Me: "No because I love you, infinity."
Hadley: "Well, I love you to infinity and beyond (assuming she got this from Toy Story)."

A couple nights ago I took some pictures of how my bedtime routine goes with Hudson. Though Hudson is a wildman during the day and rarely slows down he is such a cuddlebug at night. He loves to rock in his chair with me and gives me a million kisses before getting in his crib. 

First we read books. And not just one. FIVE! And I can't possibly forget one because he will make sure it gets read. It also must be in this order 1: Little Blue Truck 2. Clara Cow Wraps up Warm 3. That's Not My Monster 4. Buzz Buzz Busy Bees 5. The Going to Bed Book



While reading his books he finishes up his almond milk and when it's done he climbs in my lap to finish the rest of the books.


I stop for kisses as often as he'll let me!


Buzz, Buzz Busy Bees is his absolute favorite. I just took this picture so those little hands won't be forgotten.



And reading is often interrupted for giggles and silliness!




Books have been read, milk is finished, and it's time for this mommy to get some cuddles. Hudson INSISTS on turning off the light so he stands up on the chair, turns off the light,  plops back down in my lap, and lays his head on my chest.


We rock for a few minutes and he points to his bed. I stand up, carry him to the crib, sing "You are my sunshine," and get one more kiss and hug. I lay him down in his crib, cover him up, and say one last "I love you." And although my boy of few words doesn't say it back yet...I rest assured that he absolutely loves me too.

1 comment: