Saturday, August 6, 2011

Tough girl

Hadley's 4 year check-up with Dr. Stephens was yesterday and I was so proud of her. I really wasn't sure how to approach the subject of her getting shots so I pretty much didn't! I had decided if she asked me if she was getting a shot I would tell her, otherwise I didn't want to bring it up. Well, she LOVES going to the doctor and all morning kept begging to go because she wanted him to see how big she had gotten. On the way to the appointment she told me all the things she wanted to tell the doctor...that she didn't drink out of a sippy cup, that she was a big sister, that she shares her toys, and that she sleeps in her own bed. We got to the office, she proudly stood against the wall to be measured, and she loved laying on the table to have her whole body checked out. The doctor said she looked wonderful and is obviously a very happy girl. And then she said the nurse would be in....

When the nurse came in and pulled out the three needles I said, "so at what point should I not make this a surprise?" She looked at me like I was crazy and said, "um...now!" Oops. I then leaned over to Hadley and told her she was getting three shots. She said ok like it was nothing and held out her arm. Wow, maybe this will be easy. Not really. Hadley was a champ but there were some tears and by the last shot (with the nurse taking her sweet time injecting) she wailed a little bit. My stomach was turning and afterwards I think it took longer for me to calm down than her. I thought shots were hard on a baby but it is a lot harder when they are looking for you to save them from hurting!

Afterwards we went to the store, Hadley got a toy, and then we went back home to rest and watch a movie. Sweet Hudson crawled up on the couch, right up on Hadley, and rested his forehead against hers. She gave him a big hug, showed him her band-aids, and told him that she would hold his hand when he got his shots because he is not as tough as her. Thank goodness for cameras on our phones because I was able to get a picture of this sweet moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment