Monday, November 7, 2011

Earthquakes!

Wow! The last 72 hours have been pretty eventful. It started Saturday morning at 2am when I was awakened to our entire house shaking. In my sleeping stupor I immediately thought we were having gas buildup in our house and it was about to explode. I jumped up, turned off the alarm, grabbed Hadley (Hudson was at my parents and Matt was out of town) and opened to door to run outside. This all happened in about 30 seconds and I finally woke up enough to realize we had just experienced an earthquake. In fact, a 4.7 magnitude and the second largest in Oklahoma's history. It only took me about an hour to fall back asleep and I got to teach Hadley what an earthquake was the next morning.

Then comes Saturday evening around 11:30. Earthquake #2. And much larger, in fact the largest in Oklahoma's history! Not as scary this time though, probably because I wasn't in a deep sleep. This time a magnitude of 5.6 and some pretty major damage occurred about an hour away from our house.

And finally, I am typing this tonight because my adrenaline is in high gear! After months of praying for rain, our prayers have been answered. Parts of Oklahoma have seen 9 inches of rain already and it's far from over because they are predicting rain all night long. The kids went to bed early because we are still adjusting to time change and Matt and I took this opportunity to relax together and watch t.v. This is something we very rarely get to do anymore. Literally, 5 minutes after getting comfortable we felt/heard the most unbelieveable crash and I was 100% positive we had just been hit by lightening. I ran upstairs to smell/look for any fire and Matt checked downstairs. We realized it must have just been nearby and just as our nerves calmed down we experienced earthquake #3 at another 4.7 magnitude! Moments later a few firetrucks passed by our house and as we ran to our window we saw them stop at our next door neighbor's house. So the lightening was close afterall! So here I am, heart still racing, and nowhere near falling asleep.

On average Oklahoma has 50 earthquakes a year. With one month left in 2011 we have already had over 1000 this year! Never thought we would need to take out earthquake insurance but I think it just may be in our future...

2 comments:

  1. 1000 earthquakes this year?! That's crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's crazy but keep in mind we have only felt a few of them so not as serious as I probably made it sound. Still scary :)

    ReplyDelete