Tuesday, June 19, 2012

First ER visit

We knew it was inevitable but we hoped our first ER visit wouldn't happen so quickly. We had been having a wonderful night of playing chase, wrestling, and laughing with the kids. I then looked up at the clock, realized it was bedtime, and scooped Hudson up to lay him on our bed where we brush his teeth. Unfortunately, he was still pretty hyped up and when I turned around he launched himself off the bed towards me. His toes seemed to split the nightstand causing his skin to split between his toes and it was instant bleeding...all over me, the floor, and then the counter top where we tried to run water over it and see what was going on. When we realized the bleeding was not slowing down we made a quick decision to call my parents and have the meet us at the ER to help with Hadley. Poor guy cried for about 30 minutes and by the time we got back into a room (which was incredibly fast for the ER) it was way past his bedtime and he was exhausted. 

Here we are waiting for the doctor to come in and do his exam. As long as I squeezed his foot the bleeding would cease:

Not sure which one of us was more upset:

So the worst part of the whole ordeal was the doctor determining what to do. He was hoping to not do stitches since it is a hard area to bandage and heal. So he spread his toes apart, found the bleeds, and stuck q-tips in between his toes to see if he could get it to clot. Hudson screamed louder and harder than I have ever heard and Matt and I just had to restrain him. I kept looking at Matt and telling him I was about to pass out. I know how tender that area of the foot is and I hated him going through the pain. He soon realized there was no other choice but stiches and gave him a little break. They came back in the room, swaddled Hudson in a sheet, layed him face down, and numbed up his foot. Other than a scream from the needle, he was perfect. The doctor was even amazed at how still he was. I personally think he was just absolutely drained!

About to fall asleep:

We made our way home, Hudson fell asleep in the car, and barely woke up when we got home. Such a tough guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment